When we fail in our thought life
This is my last blog on thinking differently. It has been twelve weeks and I am wondering if any of you have been thinking differently. The one thing we learned - nothing will be different until we think differently. I would love to hear from you if anything has changed in your life.
My big take away from the past few weeks is that I am much more aware of my thinking processes. Thoughts are not innocent or innocuous. They have power. Every action is first preceded with a thought. While at times it may not feel like it; thoughts are under our control. So, if I have control over my thoughts and if those thoughts have power, it is imperative that I think in a way that is healthy, life giving and creative. This is not easy. Sometimes I think in ways that are not good for me and I pay the consequence. So, what do we do when we let our thought-life get out of control? Like when we let worry rob us of our sleep.
We can’t stop thinking about the injustice we experienced. Anxiety dominates our thinking due to a mistake we made at work. We hear an uncomplimentary remark about our physical appearance and we can’t get the words out of our head.ted a few (not exhaustive at all) troubling things that may affect our thinking, which in turn colors our decisions, influences our actions, and can negatively determine the outcomes.
Here are some quick suggestions when unhealthy thoughts dominate our thinking:
1. Fact check your thoughts with hard facts. No, the world will not end tomorrow and if it does, it won’t matter anymore. Many times, the things we are the most concerned about are not as bad as they appear; if we only begin to look at all the facts. So, ask yourself, is it the truth?
2. Actively look for the good in the thing that is bothering you. There is always good in everything; just sometimes it is harder to see it. This will get our thoughts moving in a more positive direction.
3. Begin to help someone else despite the negative feelings in your head. This will help you to gain a new and better perspective and give you something else to think about.
4. Exercise. Taking time each day to participate in a 30-minute good workout of your choice, (I like to run) will do wonders for your mental health.
5. Go to church. It is amazing to me how our negative thoughts keep us from participating in positive lifegiving situations. If we hang out with others that are negative thinkers it will reinforce our own negative thought life. I suppose the old saying is true, misery loves company. A better approach is to find a lifegiving, positive, Christ centred church and make it a habit to attend each week. You will get an inspirational message, experience good company, and be in a positive atmosphere. If you take this one step further and become a part of a small group with people you can trust, you will be well on your way to a positive thought life.
This Sunday I will be sharing about the failing that beset the Apostle Peter and how he did not let his missteps ruin his calling or his future. All of us blow it at times. It is what we do afterwards that makes a difference. Everyone of us will be able to relate to Peter’s faux pas, mistakes and failures. Despite it all, he became the key leader responsible for the birth of Christianity.
I look forward to seeing you on Sunday.
The new year will be coming upon us soon! We have opportunity for you to start the new year off on the right foot by trying something new and life giving! Group sign ups are now open for the January 3rd start up.
Groups meet once a week in home environments on Thursday nights. We delve into connecting deeper with each other and God by sharing our personal lives, studying based on the previous Sunday’s sermon. Times are also designated for service projects and social times.
If you are interested in either facilitating a group or hosting in your home, please contact the church.
To sign up, simply call the church office 352.1722, email email@example.com or sign up on Sunday at the church information table.
A team of people is formed to go to Haiti in February. Each team member going will be covering their own costs for transportation and meals etc.
In order to fulfill the mission purpose, funds need to be raised for the projects in Haiti.
Join us for SpagHaiti, a fund raising dinner at KCF on Wednesday, Dec 5, 6pm.
Tickets - $30 per person ($20 tax receipt offered). Children 10 and under are free. Vegetarian and gluten free options will be available.
For tickets and volunteering opportunities contact Julie Wilson at 250.777.4202 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Tickets also available at the KCF office.
Christmas Eve Dinner
Join us and invite friends and family to this wonderful and fun Christmas eve free turkey dinner with all the fixin’s. Monday, Dec 24 at KCF.
For volunteer opportunities, please contact the KCF office.
Our Daily Bread
We want to give thanks to those who heard our call and sent in donations to ODB. We can continue to provide lunch to hungry people because of the faithfulness of those who care. If you have not donated yet, please consider doing so today. You can make a significant impact with a hungry person by donating to Our Daily Bread in Nelson, BC. We have seniors, children, women, young and older people come for food, community and support. Individual lives have been changed forever by the love shown at Our Daily Bread. Please help someone today by donating $100 or what ever you can online at http://kootenaychristianfellowship.com/dat/?p=odb-donations Our Daily Bread Nelson Hot Lunch program. Thank you for supporting those that need it.
Need a new wardrobe? Looking for some Winter clothes? Want to know how to get a good deal on some great items? WE NOW HAVE CLOTHES AT S.H.A.R.E. Nelson. Check it out!
Follow us on our Facebook page and don’t miss out on any sales.
S.H.A.R.E. is accepting and receiving donations and new items are being put out for sale every day. If you would like to volunteer at S.H.A.R.E. we currently have great opportunities. Call the store at 250.352.1222 or stop by the store to inquire. Click on this link to check out S.H.A.R.E.’s video! Check out our FB page.
Calendar of Events
Visit our website at http://www.kootenaychristianfellowship.com for all the news, sermons, and places to donate.
November 22, 2018
Kootenay Christian Fellowship520 Falls Street (1/2 Block up from Baker Street)Nelson, BC V1L 6B5